Tuesday, December 1, 2009

17. Jane Eyre: (pg. 378)

17. Jane Eyre: (pg. 378)
“It was my time to assume ascendancy. My powers were in play and in force, I told him to forbear question or remark; I desired him to leave me: I must and would be alone.”

Jane Eyre was and continues to be a very popular book. Bronte created a strong, female character that could overcome obstacles and find happiness. People admire this in a character and Jane gave people something to be hopeful for – love, personal strength, and strong convictions. Victorian women traditionally belonged in the home but mission work that women began doing led to a changing role for women. Bronte took these moved these changes forward with her portrayal of Jane.

Abrams, Lynn. “Ideals of womanhood in Victorian Britain.” History Trails Victorian Britain. British Broadcasting Corporation. 9 August 2001. 25 November 2009. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/trail/victorian_britain/women_home/ideals_womanhood_01.shtml

1 comment: