Friday, April 30, 2010

Handmaid's Tale (pg. 39)

7. “I would like to believe this is a story I’m telling. I need to believe it. I must believe it. Those who can believe that such stories are only stories have a better chance. If it’s a story I’m telling, then I have control over the ending. Then there will be an ending, to the story, and real life will come after it. I can pick up where I left off.” (Page 39):

In Atwood’s novel, the Gilead culture denies women rights; women have no control for themselves the way they used to. Atwood depicts Offred as thinking of her situation as a story. It was Offred’s coping mechanism. That way, she can go through her life’s motions pretending that she has control of the ending. It helps her accept the horrible things that have happened to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment