Friday, April 30, 2010

Handmaid's Tale (pg. 66)

8. “I wait. I compose myself. My self is a thing I must now compose, as one composes a speech. What I must present is a made thing, not something born.” (Page 66):

In The Handmaid’s Tale, Atwood creates a dystopia in which women and people of different ethnicities are treated as sub-human. Women’s statuses are reduced to their ability of becoming pregnant. They are treated as nothing other than an organ used to produce a baby. Gilead aims to deprive women of individuality and make them bring in a new generation that will not know the past ways of freedom. Feminists are deprived of status and are called “unwomen”; babies with disabilities are called “unbabbies”; and blacks and Jews are given names from the Bible such as “Children of Ham” and “Sons of Jacob.”

No comments:

Post a Comment